Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Cost of Passion


We all should want something to be passionate about. Not just something tacked on to our lives or an interest one step above a hobby, but a passion connected to a life purpose. Not all passions are good. Many of us let a passion choose us rather than the other way around. Then, after it slowly takes over our life, we rationalize in order to protect our pride and call it anything but the idol that it is (eg., workaholism, an affair, etc.).
What can be more frightening is searching for a passion and not having a clear path to the Divine. The unregenerate artist has nothing but his/her own soul, or the world of men or of demons to tap into. Of course, it would be silly for me to say that secular artist throughout the ages have produced their timeless masterpieces out of deficit. What I mean is that gazing deeply into the inner self can bring a person to despair or even madness. Therefore, stories of artists committing suicide, although unfortunate, are not surprising. Yes, survivors abound, but all of them walk with a limp. For example, who can honestly travel with Goya through his dark period and return home without scars? Life for anyone can be traumatic, but an artist nearly begs for it.
Personally, I believe that my quest for truly spiritual art will become my new passion and for a good reason. Even though I choose it, I may not be free from its captivating and consuming power. There are no guarantees. My confidence is that I will be under the direction of the Holy Spirit…but that doesn’t make it safe! To truly follow Christ, in any calling, will cost us everything. But the benefits far outweigh the price. 

 I have to touch up the Elisha triptych just a bit. This composite doesn't match up perfectly. Honestly, having the piece dragged out over a few months and thousands of miles did nothing for the continuity. I'm ready to move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment